Monday, September 22, 2008

Independence Day

Not your typical Fourth of July celebration...But a good deal got read, there was much to write, and nobody blew (off) doing their work. So went our first Independent Work Day in Social Studies...

In the past six weeks, our class has mostly worked in partners, small groups or as an entire class. Today, the students in Room 503 worked completely independent of one another.

At the beginning of our Social Studies period, everyone was given a packet. The packet contained directions and material about what to read and write, short quizzes and thought-provoking questions on the later Mesopotamian period, including geography, information about specific empires and their achievements, the Code of Hammurabi and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Students were encouraged to work at their own pace and could work in any order they liked (so long as they read their Text Book assignment first). Those who did not finish in class have the opportunity to complete the packet this evening.

Here are two differing views of our Independent Work Day (as taken from journals):

Having an Independent Work Day was not fun...I didn't like it because I like sharing ideas with people and other people giving ideas to me...I didn't really use my time well. Before I knew it, it was break...I learned that I need to work on my timing skills...

It was fun to have a chance to work by myself...I had time to think by myself and to choose my answers myself. I also liked it because everyone was quiet and I work well when there isn't much noise...I learned that I like to be organized, even though my bedroom isn't so organized. I like to use my time wisely and I go back and reread stuff a lot of times.

The students of Room 503 definitely require all different types of learning methods and environments. We will keep experimenting to find the best balance for all.

Cheers,
Ms. Pitman