Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Possible Dreams

Last week's exploration of all things possible - hopes, dreams, Martin Luther King, Jr....creativity and completely out of the box thinking (our Possibili-TEA)...the P.F. Chang's Marathon and Half-Marathon this past weekend (for some of us)...and yesterday's inauguration of our country's first African-American president - has brought us to this week where anything's possible...

In our writing.

Yesterday, the Sixth Graders began writing creative stories based on the questions and pictures they began creating during our Possibili-TEA. Though the stories could be silly, whimsical, fantastical - or whatever style each student wanted to take - every story needed to follow the structure of a clear beginning, middle and end and had to include all the characteristics of a "good sandwich" (based on our "Aesop's Tables" menu).

Tomorrow the students are going to begin interspersing other writing elements (see Vocabulary homework tonight) such as alliteration, onomatopoeia, and imagery, thus, they will be building on their current stories.

My apologies for neglecting to post on Friday and Tuesday: I went home and promptly went to bed on Friday, as I wasn't feeling well. I first thought it was all those cookies and chocolates I ate at the TEA, but apparently, I was coming down with a cold, which also prevented me from posting yesterday.

I did manage to get to - and make it through - the Half-Marathon on Sunday, thanks to my walking buddy, Dana Desonie. And I want to send a big shout-out of a thank you and congratulations to all of our Sixth Grade parents who walked or ran the Half or Full Marathon as well - what an accomplishment! - and what a great way to raise money for TPA!!! Ya-hoo!

Cheers,
Ms. Pitman