Thursday, January 8, 2009

Spell Check

This morning the students of Room 503 took a spelling test of a (almost completely) different variety. Though there were five words (commonly misspelled words from our Social Studies work last semester) that might [more] typically be found on a spelling test, the other twenty were all names. As a matter of fact, they were the names of the twenty students who occupy Room 503.

Why are these names so important that they should appear on a spelling test you may ask (as several of the Sixth Grade students did this week)?! Well, for one thing: I don't think too many people enjoy seeing their name misspelled (I, for one, certainly don't. Often, I find my last name spelled with two "t's" when the correct spelling is "Pitman" - with just one. It irks me. It feels like the person writing it doesn't care enough about me and my name).

Last semester during our final Drama presentations, each student in the class had the opportunity to play the role of critic. They had to fill out a critique form every time a student went up to present and they needed to write each student's name on the top of the form. I saw all kinds of creative and interpretive spellings - but, alas, they were far from correct. It was then I decided that making sure everyone knew how to spell everyone else's name should be important. After all, these students are spending the school year together, and they may, very well, be spending six more. It would be beneficial (as well as thoughtful and courteous) to know how to spell their fellow classmates' names.

Several people received 'A+' grades - spelling every student's name correctly. Mostly the scores hovered in the 'A/B' range. It was obvious from a couple of the tests that some students simply didn't take the time to study. My hope is that they will take note of this morning's test and hop-to. I was very specific about how important it is to put your best foot forward regardless if the assignment (or in this case, test) seems "important" or not.

The same with homework. Sometimes I simply check homework to make sure it is complete. Other times, I grade homework assignments with a letter grade. I do not tell students ahead of time if homework will be graded or not. I do this simply because I believe each and every assignment should be given time, care and attention because it's an opportunity to learn, not because it's an opportunity to get a grade.

Big kudos to those students who have already chosen to go the Extra Mile and took it upon themselves to do some extra homework last night, researching Thales and static electricity.

The Extra Mile and Best Foot Forward Clubs begin next week. Students who made the decision to join the Extra Mile Club this month are bringing home forms for parent signatures this evening. I'm looking forward to watching our students go the distance.

Cheers,
Ms. Pitman